Today I made my grandmother proud and baked up Italian Lemon Drop Cookies, better known as Anginetti. I followed this recipe from Food.com exactly, and they turned out perfectly.
(Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- sprinkles (optional)
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream together granulated sugar and shortening
- Add eggs and 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract; beat well
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix until dough is soft and sticky
- Scoop dough onto lightly greased baking sheet or parchment paper, about 2″ apart
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown
- Allow to cool 2-3 minutes on pan before transferring to cooling racks
- For the icing, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and remaining 1 tsp lemon extract; mix until smooth
- Frost the tops of each cookie with a brush or metal spatula; optionally add sprinkles at this time
- Allow icing to dry completely before stacking
- Store in an airtight container
Recipe from Food.com
|Most of the baking supplies.
|The cookie dough fully mixed.
|Scooped on the pan.. I made them a bit too thick, but that turned out okay.
|The icing, which is AMAZING.. and so easy to make.
|Nom nom nom.
My youngest child came to ask for a second cookie right after finishing the first. I told him that I was glad he liked them, but we shouldn’t eat them all in one night. He replied “I didn’t like them, mom. I LOVED them.” That’s a kid seal of approval, I think!